Requesting a Mediation

If you would like to ask the Board of Negotiation (BON) to hold a mediation, please fill out our Notice of Negotiation Form below. There is no cost to hear your matter at the BON.

  • Notice of Negotiation Form (Word | PDF)

You can send the completed form by:

Please ensure that you also send a copy to the other party (the authority or the owner).

When the BON receives your request, you will be sent an acknowledgement letter. This letter will ask you to provide the BON with your availability for the mediation.

Scheduling your Mediation

Before scheduling your mediation, the BON looks at:
• Your availability
• The availability of the BON
• The location of the mediation
• The accessibility of the location

Mediation that deals with land in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) usually takes place at the BON’s offices in Toronto. If the subject property is located outside of the GTA, mediations may be held at the local municipal office, a lawyer’s office, or even someone’s home.

Before the mediation is confirmed, the BON must receive the most current appraisal and/or export report(s) relied upon at the mediation. Materials shall be provided electronically to the Board’s by email:

Before the date of the mediation, the BON also requires a list of all the attendees.

Materials Required Before Your Mediation

In order to confirm a mediation date, you will be required to provide current materials to the BON by electronic submission.  Once these are received, your mediation date will be confirmed with a Notice of Mediation.

Examples of materials you could provide are:

  • Property appraisals and market evaluations
  • Maps
  • Aerial photographs
  • Other photographs
  • Lists of comparable property sales
  • Business evaluations
  • Tenant agreements
  • Any other materials that support your compensation claim

Please email all materials to:

When your mediation is confirmed, the BON will send you and the other party a Notice of Mediation that states:

  • The location of the mediation
  • The time and date of the mediation
  • Whether any other materials should be sent to the BON

If parties settle before mediation, they should tell the BON and it will be cancelled.

Closing the Matter

The BON can close a matter without holding a mediation. This is an administrative closure and happens when parties fail to provide current materials and proposed mediation dates within six months of filing a case. If the case is administratively closed, it can come back to the Board for mediation, once a new Notice of Negotiation, current materials from both parties, and proposed dates are provided.

Accessibility Accessibility
Contrast Contrast
Increase Font Increase font
Decrease Font Decrease font