Frequently Asked Questions

Expropriation Process

Mediation Process

Expropriation Process

What is expropriation?

If privately owned land is needed for public projects such as the building of roads, highways or schools, the land can be expropriated by an authority. The authority must offer the owner a fair amount of money for their land.

What can I do if my land has been expropriated? Can the BON stop my land from being expropriated?

The BON can only be involved after the land is expropriated. In Ontario, the Expropriations Act is the law that governs expropriation. An authority must follow a set process to take land from an owner including offering fair compensation.

If you, as the land owner, do not agree with the amount of money that the authority offers, you can request a mediation with the BON. The BON will try to help negotiate a settlement between you and the authority.

Mediation Process

How do I request mediation from the BON?

For information on requesting mediation, please see our “Requesting a Mediation” page.

Who is involved in mediation?

The expropriating authority and the owner are usually the only parties involved in a BON matter. In most cases, the expropriating authority is a municipality, regional authority or a ministry of the Ontario Government.

What happens at the mediation?

At the mediation, the parties discuss the matter and the Members help to negotiate a settlement. After the discussions and the presentation of all the materials, the Members recommend a solution.

For more information, please see our “Mediation Process” page.

How long does the mediation last?

Mediations usually begin at 9:30 a.m. and may last the full day. If the issues are complicated or there are multiple properties involved, the BON may hold additional mediations.

Where will the mediation be held?

If the property is located in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), the mediation will be held at the BON’s offices at:

655 Bay Street, Suite 1500
Toronto, ON
M5G 1E5

If the property is outside of the GTA, the mediation may be held at a local venue.

Is mediation open to the public?

Only parties to a matter can attend BON mediations. All written materials are confidential.

Do I need a representative?

You do not need a representative to participate in a BON mediation. However, if you choose to use a representative, you must give them written permission to represent you.

For information about legal representation, please visit the Law Society of Ontario’s website or the Ontario Expropriation Association’s website.

How do I reschedule my mediation?

If you are a party to a BON matter, you may request that the mediation be delayed. This request should be made at least 10 days before the mediation.

You should:

  1. Contact the other party and ask for their consent.
  2. Ask the other party for a new mediation date.
  3. Send your request to the BON.
  4. The BON will reschedule the mediation

You can send the completed form by:

Does the BON make decisions?

If you come to the BON to negotiate a settlement, you will not receive an order or decision. In some cases, the Members may give you a recommendation on how much your claim is worth, but this is not binding on either party. Recommendations are usually given orally at the end of the mediation.

Who negotiates my compensation?

Two Members will guide the mediation.

What are the qualifications of Members?

Members have different backgrounds. They have experience working with real estate, property appraisal, and business loss claims. Many of the Members also have brokerage experience. The Lieutenant Governor appoints Members to the BON. For more information on the appointment process, please visit the Ontario government website.

Accessibility Accessibility
Contrast Contrast
Increase Font Increase font
Decrease Font Decrease font